In 2008 the UK Climate Change Act was enacted and at the time was said to be a forerunner in long term climate law, hailed by many as groundbreaking.
Now, the ‘Governance of the Energy Union and Climate Action Regulation’ has just been politically agreed to by the European Union law making bodies and is set to become law this December.
Anusha Witt’s presentation to CCL will share some of the key features of both of these legislative instruments.
About Anusha Witt: After completing a bachelor in International studies, Anusha worked for the International not-for-profit ActionAid, a women’s and youth rights charity, in Sydney, Kenya, and in Bangladesh. Through ActionAid she has campaigned and advocated for youth and small-holder women farmers rights, and has been a trainer in campaigning, advocacy, feminist leadership, accountable governance and tax justice. Anusha is a longstanding CCL Australia member who has recently completed her Masters in Environmental Law. Her dissertation research is titled ‘Long Term Climate Laws: A comparative Analysis of The UK ‘Climate Change Act’ and the European Union Regulation ‘Governance of the Energy Union and Climate Action Regulation”.
Ways to join Australian ‘CCL international’ video conference using ZOOM
- Join from tablet, PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android at : https://citizensclimate.zoom.us/j/3920795005 Note: If you need to improve your audio/video quality, download the Zoom app, and if required close other applications and web browser windows. Your audio may be muted by default on this video conference until the end.
- To connect by phone: Dial 02 8015 2088 then enter the Meeting ID: 392 079 5005 into your phone keypad.
- International callers: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=P2yB0sUd-U6-oITyIpbHqT6K3Q5LipSs.
Actions for November
- Share the new Carbon Fee and Dividend material – flyers and the CCL Australia video CFD explainer as part of our ongoing regular communications to: our local community action groups, local and national media, local government councilor(s), state and/or federal MPs and Senators
- Letters to the Editor on climate are on a roll nationally thanks to CCL letter writing team – a burst this month that can also mention CFD will be good timing.