Thanks and congratulations to all our supporters who made submissions to the Climate Change Bill Inquiry. They were amazing!!
According to communications from Zali Steggall MP (who introduced the Private Members Bill that prompted the Inquiry):
‘…the Inquiry attracted a RECORD number of submissions…across all quarters of society including individuals, businesses, unions, NFPs, and unions. This is a clear reflection of the strength and consistency of feeling that the federal government needs to take more meaningful action on climate change.’
The thousands of submissions made are reviewed before approval to upload to the Parliament House website. You can view them here.
(Note: Citizens’ Climate Lobby submission is #652)
Here’s what happens next….
- Individuals and organisations are selected to give evidence to the Parliamentary Committee at public hearings on 29 January and 1 February 2021. You can watch the hearings live and on demand here
- The Committee discusses all the evidence and prepares a report with recommendations for the House of Representatives
- The Government then decides if the Bill will be debated and voted on.
Here’s what you can do…
- Contact your Federal MP (send a letter or email and/or call their office) and ask them to support allowing the Bill to be debated and voted on. February would probably be the best time for this as the committee’s report is likely to be released mid to late February.
- If you haven’t already, sign the #ClimateActNow petition here
- Keep up to date on progress via CCL’s social media channels, our national calls and your local group.
“No matter what your reason for coming to the debate on climate is, there is room for everyone to want action… It’s time to take the party politics out of this and move forward with a plan.” – Zali Steggall OAM MP speaking at the CCL National Conference 1 November 2020.
Watch her full speech here
To learn more about the Climate Change Bill visit the #climateactnow website
Need further assistance? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org